Sunday, November 14, 2010

Not So Good Reads: The Profiler

From Amazon.com:

Pat Brown is now one of the nation's few female criminal profilers--a sleuth who assists police departments and victims' families by analyzing both physical and behavioral evidence to make the most scientific determination possible about who committed a crime. Brown has analyzed many dozens of seemingly hopeless cases and brought new investigative avenues to light.

I would like to begin by confessing that I am a true-crime junkie, and I have read every single one of famous FBI-profiler John Douglas's books. You know the guy: Jody Foster's character Clarice Starling in Silence of the Lambs was partly modeled after him. I've read some of the works of Douglas's FBI-profiler peers, too, but never found any to be as articulate and well-written as his.

So when I saw this book about a female profiler in the library I couldn't resist. 

Let me just say that this book is about the most worthless piece of drivel I have read in a long, long time. In fact I only made it to page 61 before I threw it down in disgust. 

I have never in my life read something as self-aggrandizing, boastful, and oh-so-self-important as this jumble of words on a page. This woman purports to be a "nationally known profiler"...yet she has no experience or background in law enforcement, no specialized training with the FBI or anyone else for that matter. She is self-taught, and egotistically thus proclaims herself to be a "profiler". Based on her self-education through books and online classes! What a joke. 

The turning point for me, where I laughed out loud and could hardly go any further, is a point early in the book when she suspects her boarder of murder, so she's going around "interviewing" people who know him and she goes to meet his father. The suspected-murderer's father says: "I've had a bunch of problems with him constantly lying, and one time he stole a bunch of quarters from me, I think it was a jar." ................... are you kidding me??? This is the "evidence" you are "profiling" ?!?!

Do not, I repeat, do not waste your time on this garbage. I can't believe this hoaxer found a publisher willing to pay her to write this drivel and spend money on binding it in a book. I also can't believe my very own beloved public library wasted $24.99 on the hardback version of it. What a crock!

No comments:

Post a Comment