Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Very Excellent Reads: Matched and Crossed


Now that I've made my confession about how much I really dig dystopian/paranormal novels targeted at Young Adults, it's time to reveal the only other series that even comes close to Divergent on my list of favorites: Matched by Ally Condie and its sequel, Crossed.





I love, love, LOVED this series!!! It's right up there with Divergent and The Hunger Games, although totally different in both concept and execution. Like Divergent, I've read both books twice now.

The first book in the series, Matched, is definitely a lot more "fluffy" than either Divergent or The Hunger Games. In fact, there is no overt violence whatsoever in Matched. The second book, Crossed, is definitely darker and does contain some scenes of violence, but still nothing on the level of The Hunger Games. I personally preferred the second book over the first. For one thing, Matched is told only in the voice of the female main character, Cassia. The second book features rotating chapters between Cassia and one of the male leads, Ky. I really enjoyed getting in Ky's head and hearing his thoughts and experiences.

I'm so excited that the third book in the series, Reached, comes out on November 13th. And, best of all, we get to hear from the other male lead, Xander, in this one! Woostinkinhoo! I'm literally counting down the days---I cannot WAIT!!! The publisher has been leaking teaser quotes every day, and the first three chapters, and as much as I love the teasers it's driving me crazy!! I am so excited about this book I almost can't stand it.

I highly, highly recommend the Matched series to anyone who enjoyed Divergent and/or The Hunger Games! 




No comments:

Post a Comment