Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Excellent Reads: Divergent and Insurgent


So having finally and reluctantly jumped on the Hunger Games bandwagon, I found myself enjoying the series so much that when it was over I wanted to read something similar. A short Google search for "If you liked The Hunger Games..." led me to Divergent by Veronica Roth, which I will go on record as saying was WAY better than The Hunger Games. For one thing, it was much more nuanced.

From Amazon.com:
"In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself."

I loved, loved, LOVED the world-building in this story. Roth's five factions are very unique and interesting. I found myself wondering which of the factions would suit my personality, which one would I have chosen? Interestingly I came across a fun little faction quiz online! I'm sure it won't surprise any of you who know me well and have read the series that I am Amity. :)

The second book, Insurgent, is even better than the first. Completely action-packed with several knock-your-socks-off surprising plot twists. I can't recommend this series highly enough! And I believe 100% it will be the next "Hunger Games"--there is no doubt this one will continue to rise in popularity as word spreads about this series. There's even a movie in the works! Woohoo!!

One thing I really loved about it is the decided lack of the stereotypical love triangle that features so prominently in so many YA novels. What a treat for the female lead to only have one love interest, and to not be constantly dithering over whether she should be with this one, or that one. Tris is way too cool to be a ditherer, anyway.



My only complaint is that we have to wait another YEAR until Fall 2013 for the third and final book in the series. Seriously??

No comments:

Post a Comment