Monday, November 8, 2010

I Can Be Anything...A Barbie Barf

Despite the fact that I loved Barbies as a youngster, when I got older I realized how insidious her message of physical perfection really is. I am not a die-hard feminist but I do have mild leanings in that direction, and Barbie's impossibly unrealistic measurements and physical perfection just don't sit well with me. Real people have imperfections: crooked noses, weight problems, scars, moles, etc. I just really feel that the standard of "beauty" ought to be more than blonde-haired, blue-eyed, pneumatically-perfect-boobies, impossibly small waist, and permanently-arched feet.

Now I know Mattel has gone a long way towards inclusiveness when it comes to Barbies with other coloring features and even so much as a disabled Barbie in a wheelchair. But to me these seem like tokens of gratuitousness thrown to the masses rather than real efforts to normalize realistic imperfection (that's not to say I consider "other coloring features" as imperfect, by the way, I just realized it sounded that way when I read it). Suffice it to say, I've been disillusioned about Barbie for years.

Interestingly, during the previews for Megamind this weekend, we happened to see this little video:

As the video progressed I kept thinking "What a great message for girls!" and really enjoying what I was seeing and hearing...until the end when it became clear that the video was made and being promoted by, of all things, Barbie.

My initial reaction upon realizing that was "Barf...Are you kidding me?" She who promotes relentlessly unrealistic standards of beauty dares to try and tell little girls they can be anything? I'll believe that as soon as I see a Barbie being "anything" while also being slightly chunky, with frizzy hair, or a scar on her face. I couldn't decide whether to laugh, cry, or get angry.

But the best part was about a half a second later when my stepdaughter asked with all genuineness: "What does that have to do with Barbie?"

Atta girl! I can't really even articulate why, but that left a big smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment