Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Good Reads: The Tale of Halcyon Crane

When a mysterious letter lands in Hallie James’s mailbox, her life is upended. Hallie was raised by her loving father, having been told her mother died in a fire decades earlier. But it turns out that her mother, Madlyn, was alive until very recently. Why would Hallie’s father have taken her away from Madlyn? What really happened to her family thirty years ago? In search of answers, Hallie travels to the place where her mother lived, a remote island in the middle of the Great Lakes. The stiff islanders fix her first with icy stares and then unabashed amazement as they recognize why she looks so familiar, and Hallie quickly realizes her family’s dark secrets are enmeshed in the history of this strange place...

If you're in the mood for a deliciously creepy ghost story, then this is the book for you! I just happened across this in the library and loved every word of it. If the image of a sinister little girl ghost singing this familiar tune doesn't give you the willies I don't know what will...

Say say oh playmate
Come out and play with me
And bring your dollies three
Climb up my apple tree
Shout down my rain barrel
Slide down my cellar door
And we'll be jolly friends
Forever more more more more

This is author Wendy Webb's debut novel, and I'll definitely be hoping for more from her!

2 comments:

  1. I am ABSOLUTELY getting this book. It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love it....seriously creepy, in a good way. Say say oh playmate....

    ReplyDelete