Saturday, October 23, 2010

Daughters of The Republic of Texas


Most of my local readers are already aware that Texas is the only state in the nation that was once its own independent country (1836-1846). I'm a proud native Texan by birth, and by lineage I am also a fiercely proud Daughter of the Republic of Texas. What does that mean, you ask?

Any woman having attained her sixteenth birthday is eligible for DRT membership, provided she is personally acceptable to The DRT and is a lineal descendant of a man or woman who rendered loyal service for Texas prior to the consummation of the Annexation Agreement of the Republic of Texas with the United States of America on the nineteenth day of February, eighteen hundred forty-six (19 February 1846).
 
  1. As a colonist with Austin's Old Three Hundred, or any colonies authorized under the Spanish or Mexican governments before the Texas Revolution or those authorized by the Congress of the Republic of Texas.
  2. As an officer or private in the service of the Colonies or of the Republic of Texas.
  3. As a loyal resident, male or female, regardless of age, who established residence in Texas prior to the nineteenth day of February, eighteen hundred forty-six (19 February 1846). ("Loyal" shall be interpreted to mean that he or she had not been proved disloyal. A loyal resident, regardless of age, gave the service of residing in Texas and aiding in its settlement. "Service" shall be interpreted to mean "resident" or "military.")
  4. As a recipient of a land grant authorized by the Provisional Government of the Republic of Texas. Those grants include "Toby Scrips;" head rights, first, second, third, and fourth class; preemption grants; land scrips; colony contracts; bounty certificates; and donation certificates.
Through my Papaw (paternal grandfather)'s side, I am a direct descendant of William Albright, who met the qualifications for c). above.

For one thing, I'm so glad to know I have been deemed "personally acceptable" to the fine Daughters! :) I became a member along with my mom years ago in college, and for a time was active in the chapter at College Station. Young adulthood intervened and I haven't been involved in years, but recently I became interested again, and re-instated my membership into a local chapter here in my area.

Interestingly, my mom has also done genealogy work that came thisclose to our being eligible for Daughters of the American Revolution, probably the most prestigious historical ladies society of this kind. My mother-in-law is a proud DAR. My mom has done all the research and has proven our eligibility down to one tiny date, that we know from family history is correct, but she hasn't been able to prove it to the stringent standards that DAR holds. Or rather, I should say she hasn't really TRIED to prove it--she can, she just doesn't want to, because then she'd have all her DAR friends hounding her to be a fully active member, and she just simply hasn't got the time right now....maybe someday I can talk her into it... :) are you reading this, Mom? :)

1 comment:

  1. LOL. Good luck! I'm probably biased, but I like DRT better anyway. I wish I had time right now to be active in it.

    ReplyDelete