Thursday, January 28, 2010

Weight...

My stepson had his 5-year-old check up today. It seems he needs to lose a little bit of weight! He's in the 93rd percentile for weight but only 77th percentile for height.

How on earth this is possible, for him to be "overweight", I have no idea---this is a kid who is always the LAST to finish every meal, picks at everything and says he is full, and is extremely choosy about what he will try. If I had a dime for every time I've heard "it's yucky" before he even lays EYES on a dish, much less tasted it, I would be a rich woman. He is the slowest eater I've ever seen, and it regularly makes me nuts when we're all done and just sitting there watching him pick pick pick at his plate. How in the world could this child be overweight?!

We do our best at our house to eat good food. I even regularly sneak pureed vegetables into their food via the Sneaky Chef Method (I LOVE those cookbooks and have a freezer full of a huge batch of purees I made). But we did get a little lax about the sweets during the holidays...they had a lot more candy, a lot more often, than usual. And the last few months have been so extraordinarily busy that I find us eating out more often, and turning to pre-packaged convenience foods than I would like.

Bill and I both have been saying we need to start really making an effort to eat more fruits and veggies, and cut out some of the unnecessary carbs. Looks like this is our wake-up call!

2 comments:

  1. Ohh I know where this is heading... I started following a few weeks ago. I too am a step mom to a boy. He is 10 but I have been around since he was 3...

    It is a dog and pony show at dinner time at our house when he is here. We have a veggie with EVERY meal. and or a fruit. He is by no means overweight, but the fight to eat is relentless. I stay out of it. I cook and thats it. Then I am done. It takes him and hour and a half to eat. We cut that down, he is now on a time limit and if he doesn't finish then he doesn't. 45 min is plenty of time to eat dinner. We don't have sugar cereals, and I sneek food in all the time. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dog and pony show is right, Jen! haha

    Hour and a half??!! Now that would stretch my patience VERY thin! 45 minutes seems like plenty!

    Good luck with your food battles as well!

    ReplyDelete