Wednesday, November 28, 2012

So-So Reads: Through the Door



Recently I stumbled across Through the Door by Jodi McIsaac. It was only a couple of dollars on Amazon and the sample was pretty good so I bought it. Here is a synopsis from Amazon:

Celtic mythology and the modern world collide in the first book in THE THIN VEIL series. Cedar McLeod lives an ordinary but lonely life, raising her six-year-old daughter Eden on her own, while trying to balance the demands of her career and the expectations of her mother. Everything seems normal until the day Eden opens her bedroom door and finds herself half a world away – and then goes missing. Suddenly, Cedar realizes her daughter is anything but normal. In a desperate search for answers, Cedar tries to track down Eden’s father, who mysteriously disappeared from her life before Eden was born. What she discovers is far beyond anything she could have imagined. As she joins unlikely allies in the hunt for her daughter, Cedar becomes torn between two worlds: the one she thought she knew, and one where ancient myths are real, the stakes are impossibly high, and only the deepest love will survive.

This book was okay, but not wonderful. At times I wasn't sure if I would be able to finish it. I think there was one scene in particular that kind of spoiled it for me: just a few hours after her 6 year old daughter disappears from the face of the earth, presumably kidnapped by an evil fairy, the main character Cedar lays down and snuggles with a cat and GOES TO SLEEP. Really?? I'm sorry but if my child were missing there's no way I would be able to SLEEP. I would be tearing down walls and raging and doing everything I could possibly think of to Find My Child. It just kind of made this story unbelievable--yes, I realize that's kind of a stupid thing to say about a fairy story, but still. I can suspend disbelief about the paranormal, but the achingly normal? Not so much. And it is NOT normal to fall asleep snuggling with a cat when your child is missing.

If you're interested in Celtic lore, fairies, that sort of thing, you will likely enjoy this story. I'm glad I didn't spend more than a few dollars on it, but I don't really regret it. I doubt I will be reading the follow-up novels, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment