Friday, November 16, 2012

Pink Blanket and Raffy

I recently read a really interesting article about security blankets/loveys in both childhood and adulthood. I'd never heard of the idea of "essentialism" (the concept that items are more than just their physical properties) before, but it makes perfect sense. Anyone who has cried a river (like me) while reading the Velveteen Rabbit will know exactly what essentialism is.

As it happens I've had direct experience with essentialism. Meet Pink Blanket:

Pink Blanket (aka Pinkie) was my beloved childhood security blanket/lovey. He is a small sleeping bag-type blanket that my Nana gave to me right after I was born. I have no idea why I named him Pink Blanket, because as you can see, he is not entirely pink. And also, Pink Blanket is most definitely a he. 

For years I dragged this thing EVERYWHERE. I also sucked my middle two fingers for far longer than was appropriate, and my comfort ritual was to squeeze together a tiny patch of fabric on Pinkie to make a small ridge, and tap that ridge with the tip of one index finger. I was kind of an anxious child, what can I say? But I remember so very vividly how much I adored Pink Blanket, couldn't really function without him (as I'm sure my older siblings and cousins will attest). You can even see evidence of his lifetime with me in the picture--numerous tears and worn spots, amateur attempts to repair them, and even some stains. See that small brown dot at the top of the picture? That's paint, from when I got in the way when my parents were painting our old pink Ford truck brown (yes, we really did have a pink Ford truck that we painted brown).

I still remember exactly how Pink Blanket smelled when I would hold him to my nose and take a big whiff. Kind of like my mom, but more like pure solace. I still have Pink Blanket, put carefully away in a box high on a shelf, of course. I'm sad to report that as an adult he does not smell the same to me as he did when I needed him as a child. The smell of Pink Blanket comfort is left only in my mind. But I'm glad I still have him and can take as good care of him now as he did of me as a child.

Now it's time to pass the comfort of essentialism on to my own child. I didn't realize the significance of any of this at the time, but the very first thing I bought for my son after I found out I was pregnant was this---meet Raffy:

I've already explained the giraffe theme of the nursery, and I knew the minute I saw this that I must have it for my son. Honestly, I didn't even really know what it was when I bought it--I was at a consignment sale and it was folded up tightly inside a sealed Ziploc bag. I thought it might be a washcloth or just a small soft toy. It was only $3 and of course was a giraffe so I bought it on the spot. When I opened it up and realized it was a lovey I knew that this was going to be my son's own Pink Blanket. I christened it Raffy.

We received several other adorable loveys as shower gifts: 2 other types of giraffes, a monkey, a zebra, and an elephant. They are all very cute and Kirk has enjoyed playing with them, but the one I've pictured above is by far his favorite. He sleeps with it at night and naps with it during the day. I love watching him rub and caress it, it's just the sweetest thing:

Kirk loves his Raffy just as much as I loved Pink Blanket! I'm so glad he has a comfort item.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word! I love his sweet little pudgy hands:) I have to admit, I had "Boo Boo Bunny" and I was sure to get Michael and James one as well:)

    ReplyDelete