Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Goin' Pickin'

Last weekend we took the kids on a pick-your-own adventure! We are so lucky that there are a plethora of unique pick-your-own farms within driving distance from here. We've been strawberry picking earlier this spring; this time we went for lavender and blueberries!

So we started the day with a visit to Lavender Ridge Farms in Gainesville, TX. They were having "Family Day" with a bounce house and "petting zoo"...unfortunately the advertised petting zoo wasn't much of one, they had a few cute goats (have I mentioned lately how much I love goats?! They are so cute!!!), some rabbits, and some chickens running loose. The kids had a grand old time chasing the chickens. I kind of felt sorry for the poor little things (the chickens, that is) bok-bok-bokking and running into the underbrush!


Then we got down to business and started picking lavender. The kids loved it, and they were really good at it too! I'm not sure yet exactly what I'll do with the lavender, but I'll think of something. It smells sooooo good! We gave a bundle to each of their grandmothers on our side. 

After we finished picking we refreshed ourselves with the lavender lemonade they were serving...the kids surprised me by actually liking it! I thought they would hate it or refuse to even try it. I think it tastes great, personally...very different, but very good. Lavender Ridge Farms also has a little cafe where they serve all sorts of goodies!





Then it was time for a break, re-sunscreen and cool off in the car for a short 20 minute trip down the road to Bailey's Berry Patch. Bill and I have been to Bailey's before to pick blueberries, and it's among our favorites. They have deliciously yummy blueberries, blackberries, a small lake next to which you can have a picnic, live music, and lots of good times.

Here the kids each got their own picking bucket (which they got to keep). Many of the blueberries were not yet ripe (did you know blueberries are a lovely shade of pink just before they turn ripe?) so it was kind of a "treasure hunt" to find the big fat juicy ripe blue ones. M and L both were really good at finding excellent blueberres!




By this time it was stinkin' hot outside so none of us lasted too terribly long, which we had anticipated. Bailey's also had a bounce house which the kids enjoyed while we had our berries cleaned and paid for them. Then it was time to cool off in the car again, and long naps for all of us once we got home!

It was hot outside but we all had so much fun! If you live around here and are interested in picking I highly recommend both these places. Bill and I are going blueberry picking again on our own next weekend, we haven't decided yet if we're going back to Bailey's or another of our favorites, Blueberry Hill Farm near Canton. Have I mentioned lately how much I love blueberries???? Soon I will have to start posting pictures of all the yummy ways we eat them!

No comments:

Post a Comment