Friday, June 18, 2010

Embroidery Lessons

Recently I taught my stepdaughter how to embroider. I'm no expert myself but thanks to the tutelage of my mom, who is a master quilter and owns a quilt shop, I can do a few things. I was amazed at how quickly M picked it up, and her tiny fingers aren't nearly as clumsy as my thick adult ones! I got her one of those needle-threaders and she can even pretty much thread her own needle now.

A while back she did a sampler of her name...I won't post it since it's her full name but it's REALLY cute. She did each letter in a different color, then I zigzagged each edge of the rectangle in a bright color. While she was sewing I was telling her that back in the 1700s and 1800s little girls made samplers with their names and usually a motto or a Bible verse, and now those antique samplers are very rare and very expensive. She was so cute, she said "you mean in a hundred years this will be worth a million dollars?!?!" Teehee.

She did this recently which turned out so cute too. Her stitches are very good! After she finished I helped her cut it into a heart shape then zigzagged the edges on the sewing machine. I know my mom is proud to have another young protege!!

My next post will be about my biggest embroidery project ever...my Nancy Drew quilt. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment