Sunday, June 13, 2010

8-Ball Squash

Last week I saw these very interesting squash at the Farmer's Market:

They are called 8-Ball Squash, and they taste just like regular squash/zucchini. The vendor was also offering simple recipes for stuffing the squash, so I picked up some squash and a recipe and decided to experiment. I took one of their recipe suggestions and added a few things to make it my own and came up with this delicious dinner. We LOVED it! And very healthy too!

I used ground turkey for Bill's, but since I am a vegetarian I used fake-meat crumbles from Morning Star for my own. Also the tomatoes I used were fresh from our garden, even still warm from the sun. Yummy! 

We did have a TON of the stuffing left over, so others may want to halve the ingredients. We were glad to have extra stuffing to use in tomatoes and peppers for other meals, though!

Wendy's Stuffed 8-Ball Squash
6 squash
1 lb ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Cut off the top of the stem of each squash. Put them cut-side down in a pan of about 1/2 inch of water. Simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes or until tender. When they are cool enough to handle scoop out the middle of each squash and reserve it for the recipe.

Brown the turkey or hamburger meat, then drain the grease. I also sauteed the chopped onion in butter until soft and translucent. Mix the meat, onions, chopped pepper, chopped tomatoes, and most of the cheese together in a bowl. Chop the reserves from the middle of the squash and blend into your mix. Stuff the squash with the mixture, then top with a little bit more cheese. Place the squash on a baking sheet and stick in a pre-heated oven (I used about 350) for 5-10 minutes until the cheese melts and the squash are warm. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment