Monday, November 22, 2010

Worst Christmas Songs EVER

Bah 
Humbug Bah Humbug! Bah 
Humbug

Okay, confession time: I've been listening to Christmas music on 103.7 since November 1st. What can I say, I love this time of year!

That said there are at least three (and probably more) holiday songs that put me in a decidedly un-festive mood. Now I know there are a lot of "worst Christmas songs" lists out there and a lot of people have already weighed in on this issue. But now it's my turn: for your consideration today are what I consider the top three WORST offenders.

3). Bruce Springsteen's "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"
Now don't get me wrong, I love me some Boss (especially since he uses my name in "Born to Run"!), but this screechy, scratchy, yowling mess of a song has no business being played over and over and OVER again.

2). Speaking of over and over and over and over and over and over and OVER again:
Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime"
This song makes me want to stick a fork in my ear. I despise songs of any kind that repeat the same thing over and over. This is one of the worst offenders I've ever heard in that regard. This is one of the worst offenders I've ever heard in that regard. This is one of the worst offenders I've ever heard in that regard. This is one of the worst offenders I've ever heard in that regard. Does repeating it make my thoughts any more meaningful or relevant? No, Mr. McCartney, it doesn't. So stop, already.

1). Gloria Estefan's "This Christmas"
I'm sorry to be a hater, but I really can't stand anything by Gloria Estefan, and this one definitely tops the list. I'm not really even sure why I dislike her so much, for some reason I just find her voice to be whiney and annoying, like bloody ragged fingernails down a chalkboard. This song makes me want to jump over the balcony rails outside my office every time it comes on. Which, 103.7 The Christmas Station, if you're reading this, is entirely too often over the course of one day. Is there nothing else you can play?!

Bah Humbug. Bah 
Humbug

What are YOUR top three worst songs?

And now just to prove that I did not post this with the sole purpose of leaving you with a daylong earworm of the above mentioned songs, for your viewing and listening pleasure, one of the best Christmas songs ever made. What can I say, it makes me happy!


2 comments:

  1. The fact that 103.7 is already playing Christmas songs is what's making me hold up my Bah Humbug sign. >:(

    But my choice for worst holiday song ever goes to Dean Martin's 'Baby, It's Cold Outside.' That song is SO FREAKING CREEPY. Coercion, control issues and the hints of date rape just freak me out. It baffles me that anyone could actually like that song.

    And on a side comment, I feel the same way about Ke$ha that you do about Gloria Estefan. Her voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me and I have to change the station every time she comes on. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha, I actually LIKE that song! now that I think about it, though, you're right, it is kinda creepy.

    Totally agree with you about Ke$ha.

    ReplyDelete